Launch of a new study by Energy Watch Group and Lappeenranta University of Technology:
Global Energy System Based on 100% Renewable Energy – Power Sector
As costs for renewable electricity keep falling and emerging markets lead in green energy investments, a global electricity system fully based on renewable energy is no longer a long-term vision.
The Lappeenranta University of Technology and the Energy Watch Group are working on a new groundbreaking study, which models the global energy system fully based on 100% renewables across four energy sectors of electricity, heat, mobility and industrial demand. It is the first study that models the global renewable electricity system on an hourly basis.
The preliminary results show: 100% renewable electricity worldwide is not only feasible at every hour throughout the year, but also economically more cost-effective than the fossil or nuclear energy systems.
The first study results on electricity will be presented at the Global Renewable Energy Solutions Showcase event on 8 November 2017 on the sidelines of COP 23 in Bonn. The launch-event will include a presentation of the study results and a podium discussion with policy-makers, scientists and civil society.
Among the speakers:
- Hans-Josef Fell, President of the Energy Watch Group, German MP 1998-2013, Co-Author of the German Renewable Energy Sources Act
- Christian Breyer, Lead Author of the study, Professor for Solar Economy at Lappeenranta University of Technology in Finland
- Christine Lins, Executive Secretary of REN21
- Claudia Kemfert, Professor of Energy Economics and Sustainability at Hertie School of Governance in Berlin, Head of Energy, Transportation, Environment at the German Institute of Economic Research (DIW Berlin)
- Claude Turmes, Member of European Parliament & Spokesperson for Energy Policy (invited)
- Pranav R. Mehta, Chairman of the National Solar Energy Federation of India, Chairman of Global Solar Council (invited)
- Lasse Bruun, Head of Global Campaign Coordination at Climate Action Network International
The study is co-funded by the German Federal Environmental Foundation (DBU) and Stiftung Mercator.
Want to know more? Visit us at the Global Renewable Energy Solutions Showcase in Bonn on 7-8 November 2017 during COP23
The Global Renewable Energy Solutions Showcase GRESS is an event by the Renewable Energy Community during the UN Climate Change Conference COP23 for the COP23 delegates in order to demonstrate how renewables can help to achieve the international climate goals.
Platinum Sponsor: AboWind
Gold Sponsors: German Wind Energy Association BWE – Goldwind – Energieagentur.NRW
Silver Sponsors: Max Boegl – Roedl & Partner
Bronze Sponsor: Next Kraftwerke
Offgrid Partner: Malifolkecenter Nyetaa
Mediapartner: new energy – neue energie
Co-hosted by the Global100% Renewable Energy Platform, REN21, REN Alliance, International Geothermal Association IGA, International Hydropower Association IHA, International Solar Energy Society ISES, World Bioenergy Association WBA, World Wind Energy Association WWEA, International Windship Association, European Renewable Energy Federation EREF, German Renewable Energy Federation BEE, Energy Watch Group, and more.